Monday, June 4, 2007

Happy ever after?

As I was preparing to write my modern day fairy tale I was going over ways to make it more believable. Just then I thought about it, these tales would have to be changed so much, just so that they would fit into society today, and that doesn't even add in the factor of making it interesting enough so that people would stay interested in it. Growing up I believed every word of these stories, that someday I would find my price charming, and that we would live happily ever after. Unfortunately, taking a look today, these fairy tales seem to be slipping further and further away from us.

Reading the different scenarios in the book, they seem to be much more like something we would see today. This really makes me thing, because reading them is so depressing, but these things really happen. The chance today of things working out so perfectly for someone is a little hard to believe, which is difficult for some to grasp, but ultimately, true. Factoring in the divorce rate, as well as all of the other problems in the world today, many more serious than some girl and guy finding true live, it is truly a sobering fact.

I wanted to get the attention of my classmates and keep it, but in order to do this, my story had to take a drastic turn for the worse. I like how my story turned out, but I still wish that the original fairy tales of everything being so perfect in the world, could still come true. I think that to give up all hope for such happiness is something hard to do for people, and something that I never want to do. I don't want to come to terms with reality, and how much things have changed. I also think that it is not a good thing to base your life around such fairy tales, because they are just that, TALES. They are not true, they never were, and probably never will be. So to sum it all up, there has to be some sort of happy medium in all of this. Is it possible to stay optimistic and realistic at the same time? I think that it all depends on how one lives their daily life, living in the present, and striving for whatever makes them happy.

No comments: