Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Tempest

6/20/07

While reading The Tempest and A Tempest I noticed a difference between the two. I immediately liked The version by Cesaire more, mostly because I was not looking up every other word I read, trying to make sense of it all. When I was reading through the Spark Notes version of Shakespeare's version I found a much different interpretation than what I had got from the book.

I think that it is easier to enjoy things if you have somewhat of a familiar background with the subject at hand. I would like to think of myself as having a wide variety of knowledge, but I need to recognize that there are some things that I would enjoy much more, if I just knew more about them. For this reason, I think that the vocabulary in Cesaire's version was more appealing to me. I liked our discussion in class about how Cesaire was a black writer, therefore transforming his work into what he got from Shakespeare's version. He saw things that others did not see, others being the white society. He added a black character, which did not appear in the first version, because he thought that although this was not added initially, it was assumed. I think that in either version one has to expand their imagination, something I have a hard time with, and think outside of the box. The idea that there is this enchanted island where a select few people are isolated on has some realistic qualities to it, so for me, this was where I had to begin.

I do like the idea of boy meeting girl and falling in live, but what really makes the story would be the obstacles surrounding this budding romance. I found it interesting that Miranda's father was creating distractions for Ferdinand on purpose, something that I think still goes on in society today. Weather the things that Prospero was doing were realistic, they created something that captivates the reader, making the ending so much more exciting.

We discussed in class the idea of "happily ever after" can only be done so much. Take Romeo and Juliet, for instance (another one of Shakespeare's famous plays). This story did not end well for either party, yet it is still something we have accepted as one of the greatest pieces of work, and by far one of Shakespeare's most popular plays. Miranda and Ferdinand had to work hard for the love they shared, and this is what makes it so appealing. I think that the more I read Shakespeare the more I will learn to appreciate his work, difficult language and all.

No comments: