Thursday, June 21, 2007

In-class Notes

6/20/07

*Vocabulary:
-Scatological: the study of or preoccupation with excrement or obscenity.

*The Island
*Lost
*Buffy The Vampire Slayer- Movie: Serenity
-All of these pick up themes of The Tempest

*The Tempest
-Retelling of history of Shakespeare's plays
-Kept some plot summary
-Kept love interest
-How do we make the moments of our life last?
*Prospero asked this.
-Remembrance is the same as psychoanalysis (Freud)

*Literature doesn't ask us to believe, it simply asks us to suspend our disbelief.
-Pg. 280, line 241, "The time twixt six and now must by us both spend more preciously." (Prospero)
-Pg. 284, line 368, "You taught me language, and my profit on't is I know how to curse. The red plague rid you for learning me your language."
-Pg. 299, line 32, "Misery acquaints a man with strange bedfellows. I will here shroud till the dregs of the storm be past."

*Scatological
-pg. 318, line 146 (most famous speech) "You do look, my son, in a moved sort, as if you were dismayed..."
-Ferdinand and Miranda playing chess when Alonso thought he lost his son. Talking to Prospero.

No comments: