Monday, June 11, 2007

Shall I Compare Thee to a Summers Day

As I read through the beginning of our book I see that how I read poetry is somewhat similar to how the average person reads it. I constantly tell myself that the reason I don't like poetry is because I don't know how to interpret it. I was happy to hear that no matter what, all answers to poems are wrong. So I figure, I might as well take a jab at it. I also was relieved to hear that everyone has a different interpretation of poems.

I was really nervous when we were told that we had to read a poem in front of our class. I was at ease a bit when I found out that we did not have to actually write the poem, but still feel like I don't know exactly what we are being asked. I really enjoy my poem. It is something that I can hear and think, that is a nice poem. But that answer would be similar to saying that the cathedral is tall. At first I was reading so much into every word that it all started to lose it's appeal to me. So this is what I did...

I thought of a peaceful moment for me. I pictured myself on a warm day, feeling the sun beams beat down upon me. I take in the fresh lilac smell as I try and relax myself as best I can. I think through these words one-by-one, and then I put them together. In my head I don't hear them as they are spelled, or in the correct iambic pentameter as we are taught. I just hear them how I have always known how to. I feel proud of myself because poetry is finally starting to "click" with me. I feel as if I could pick up a poem, and given the time, I think that I could come up with a good interpretation of it. I find that my interpretations of poems are pretty much upbeat. I can read something so dark, but somehow see something enlightening in it. I no longer see poetry as something I need to be constantly worrying about, and hope that as this class continues I become even more able to read it all.

No comments: