Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Reflections

6/26/07

Looking back over my past blogs I realized something, I have really managed to open my mind to many forms of literature, and I have managed to read poetry without being intimidated by it.

I have always loved poetry, but feared that my interpretations were not correct, or that they would be mocked by whomever I confided in. I began this class looking through this book, which I will admit intimidated me to begin with, and tried to pick something out of it that stood out to me. I choose the Starry Night picture and the poem that went along with it. As I read through my blog I realized that although my thoughts were insightful, they were not my own. I was taking the information that I had heard in the past by some people that I respect, and translated it into my own words. I didn't really look at it to see what it was that I saw.

This realization made me think about the retelling of my life, and how I was going about my story. I would say that I am an average person. I get up, go to school, go to work, go home, go to bed, and start my day all over again. This, I think, is just another retelling of a story that we all know too well. But is this really how I want my story to end? I love stories that are unpredictable, and mine, so far, is not! Looking at poetry gives me a good understanding of how I want to live my life from now on. I want my life to be that story that someone can't put down. I want people to think that my life is an original story, rather than a retelling. I know that on the first day of class we discussed how every story we read is a retelling of another, but I think that there are some stories so enticing that we forget about all of the other ones we have read and think about what a wonderful new story it is. And this, is how I want my life to be.

No comments: